Dr. B. Hema Kumar
Name B.HEMA KUMAR
Educational Qualification B.Tech, PGDDI, PGDBA, M.Tech, Ph.D.
Designation Assistant Professor
Experience Academic / Industry 14 Years 6 months as on June 2019
Official Contact Address Assistant Professor, Dept of EIE, Pondicherry Engineering College
Faculty Official Phone with Extn 0413 2655281 (560)
Email Official firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternate Email email@example.com
Courses Handled Electrical Instruments and Measurements
Transducers and Measurements
Analog and Digital Instrumentation
Electric Circuit Analysis
Digital Signal Processing
Modern Measurement Techniques
Design Project Lab
Modern Electronic Instruments Lab
Microprocessors and Applications Lab
Industrial Automation Lab
Computer Control of Process Lab
Linear and Digital Integrated Circuits Lab
Publications International Journals: 13
International Conferences: 10
National Conferences: 8
Membership in Prof Societies Life Member In Indian Society for Technical Education
Life Member in Biomedical Engineering Society of India
Life Member in Instrument Society of India
Associate Member in Institution of Engineers
Life Member in Society for Biomaterials and Artificial Organs
Life Member in Society for Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine
Life Member in All India Association for Educational Research
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=KOJKeQ4AAAAJ&hl=en
Awards & Recognition
- The paper entitled “Detection and Counting of Pothole using Image Processing Techniques” was selected as a BEST PAPER in IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Computing Research (ICCIC) 2016, organized by Agni College of Technology, 15th, 16th & 17th Dec 2016.
- Outstanding Reviewer in recognition made to the contribution of Reviewing in Biomedical Signal Processing and Control (Elseiver), Awarded on Aug 2017
- Completed successfully the NPTEL course on "Designing Learner centric MOOCS" with Elite Gold Certification, Feb-Mar 2019
- Certified Microsoft Innovative Educator by Microsoft Education on 14 August 2020.
- Awarded with BEST E-Lecture Award on 11th October 2020 in the BEST E-Lecture Award Ceremony organized by the REST Society for Research International, Krishnagiri, Tamil Nadu, India
Books / chapters Authored
- B. Hema Kumar, "LABORATORY MANUAL FOR EXPERIMENTS IN HUMAN BIOMEDICAL SIGNALS", Kindle Edition, 2019. ASIN: B07W78QFTJ
- Chapter titled "Social Media Addiction : Assessment & Treatment" in the Monograph titled Education on Digital culture and Social Media, DK International Research Foundation, Nov 27, 2019. ISBN: 978-81-945142-8-2
List of Publications (Journals)
- Hemakumar B, "A Fuzzy expert system design for analysis of body sounds & design of an unique Electronic stethoscope (Development of HILSA kit)" International Journal, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Elseiver Publications, AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands. Vol.22 (2007), pp 1121-1125
- Hemakumar, B., and Dr. Anandanatarajan, R, "Construction of A Simple Electronic Stethoscope for Chest Sound Acquisition and Separation of Recorded Sounds Using Independent Component Analysis", International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, Vol. 2 Issue 12, (ISSN: 2278-0181) pp 2450 - 2460, December - 2013
- Hemakumar, B., Dr. Malathi, R. and Dr. Anandanatarajan, R, "Investigations of Different Segmentation Techniques for Characterizing Brain Tumors Based On Typical Shapes", International Journal of Research in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 6, (ISSN: 2320-1312) pp. 004-009, June 2015.
- Hemakumar, B., Dr. Malathi, R. and Dr. Anandanatarajan, R, "A FUZZY EXPERT SYSTEM (FES) DESIGN FOR GRADING OF BRAIN TUMORS IN CT IMAGES", International Journal of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Vol. 3, No. 7, pp 055 - 058, June 2015.
- B.Hemakumar, "Design of an Automated Diagnosis System for Chest Sounds Analysis", International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), Volume 4 Issue 7, pp 2404-2408, July 2015.
- K. Abinayapriya and B. Hemakumar, "Non Invasive Detection of Breast Cancer and Feature Selection from Mammogram Images", CiiT International Journal of Automation and Autonomous System, Vol 9, No 2, (ISSN 0974 – 9659), pp 21-24, February 2017
- Hemakumar, B., Malathi, R. and Ananda Natarajan, R, "An Automated Segmentation Algorithm for Detection of MENINGIOMA and GBM using Reformed Self-Organizing Maps", Journal of Advanced Computing, Vol. 6 No. 1 pp. 45-54, 2017.
- Dr.B.Hemakumar, Dr.B.Varadharaju, S.Ramanathan, "A Virtual instrument approach to model Jaw tremor", Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, Issue 11(11) , Pages: 148-155, August 2017.
- Hemakumar, B., Dr.R.Malathi, and Dr. Anandanatarajan, R, "Non Invasive Grading and Prognosis of Brain Tumours using Fuzzy Inference for Rural India", Materials Today: Proceedings 5 (Elsevier), Vol 5, Issue 1P1, pp. 1921-1928, 2018 [ISSN 2214-7853].
- Dr B Hemakumar, "Teaching Digital Signal Processing using skits - A Case Study”, International Journal of Current Engineering And Scientific Research (IJCESR), Volume-5, Issue-1, ISSN (Online): 2394-0697, ISSN (Print): 2393-8374, pp 35-40, Jan 2018.
- B.Hema Kumar, S.Ramanathan "A Novel Smart highway automated toll collection system using Raspberry PI& OpenCV ", International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications (IJERA), Vol. 8, No.5, 2018, pp. 81-85
- B. Hema Kumar, M. Florance Mary, "Inculcation of Life Philosophy through DSP Concepts", International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE) ISSN: 2278-3075, Volume-9 Issue-7, May 2020, pp 1142-1144 (UGC approved, SCOPUS indexed)
- B. Hema Kumar, R. Sundaramurthy, "Games as a pedagogy for teaching & reinforcing engineering concepts to learners", International Journal of Recent Technology & Engineering (IJRTE) ISSN: 2278-3878, Volume-9 Issue-1, May 2020, pp 1817-1819 (UGC approved, SCOPUS indexed)
- S.Rajendiran and B.Hemakumar, One Day Workshop on "Personal Health Engineering", on 14th August 2010
- S.Rajendiran and B.Hemakumar (Co-Coordinators), One day workshop on "Manage stress before it manages you" on 25th September 2010, organized by Yoga Club of PEC.
- B.Hemakumar and D.Sindhanaiselvi, TEQIP Phase II sponsored Short Term Training Programme on “Recent Advances in MEMS based Virtual Instrumentation and Applications” from 27th June 2016 to 2nd July 2016.
- B.Hemakumar, Three days hands on training program on "Digital Image Processing using MATLAB" from 1st Sep to 3rd Sep 2017.
- B.Hemakumar and M.Florance Mary, Four days workshop on "Modeling and Simulation in Biomedical Engineering" on 24th & 25th March, 13th & 16th April 2018
Guest Lectures Delivered
- "MRI Made easy", in the inaugural function of BMESI chapter, organised by Dept of BME, Rajiv Gandhi College of Engineering and Technology, Puducherry in 2008
- "Fuzzy Logic basics", Adhiyamman College of Engineering, Hosur, 2009
- "Introduction to Biomedical engineering", in the inaugural function of Students Biomedical Association, organised by Dept of Biomedical Engineering, Dhanalakshmi Srinivasan Institute of Technology, Trichy on 14th Aug 2013
- "Biomedical Signal Processing", in the ISTE SRM sponsored by Short Term Training programme titled “REALTIME SIGNAL PROCESSING USING DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSOR” organised by Dept. of EIE, Annamalai University on 23rd April 2014
- "Health care Aspects", in the ISTE SRM sponsored by Short Term Training programme titled “REALTIME SIGNAL PROCESSING USING DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSOR” organised by Dept. of EIE, Annamalai University on 23rd April 2014
- "ECG signal processing using MATLAB", in the Centre for faculty Development, Anna University sponsored Faculty Development Programme of EC6303: Signals and Systems, organised by Dept. of ECE, VRS college of Engineering and Technology, Arasur on 8th June 2014
- "Healthy food habits", in the ISTE sponsored National Level Technical Symposium ELECTROMEET 2015 organised by Dept. of ECE, VRS college of Engineering and Technology, Arasur on 27th Feb 2015
- "Healthy Habits", in the NSS Activity Special Lecture organised by NSS Wing, Pondicherry Engineering College, Puducherry on 16th Oct 2015
- "Our Health in our Hands", in the State NSS cell, Govt of Puducherry sponsored 7 day Special NSS camp organised by KENDRA VIDYALAYA, JIPMER CAMPUS on 22nd March 2016.
- "Virtual Instrumentation Interfacing using LabVIEW", in the TEQIP II sponsored STTP on Recent Advances in MEMS based Virtual Instrumentation and Application organised by Dept. of EIE, PEC, Puducherry on 27th June 2016
- "Medical Image Processing using MATLAB", in the inaugural function of Students Biomedical Association, organised by Dept of Biomedical Engineering, Dhanalakshmi Srinivasan Institute of Technology, Trichy on 27th July 2017.
- "Medical Imaging Techniques", in the ICMR sponsored 2 Days National Seminar on "Advancements in Surgical Instruments and Biosignal Processing", organised by Dept of Biomedical Engineering, Rajiv Gandhi College of Engineering and Technology, Pondicherry on 7th October 2017.
- "Interactive Engineering teaching using teaching aids based on cloud computing", in the QIP Sponsored Short Term Course on “Security Issues and Testing Challenges in Hybrid IT Infrastructure with Cloud Computing and Artificial Intelligence”, organised by Dept of CSE, PEC on 15th November 2017.
- "Non Invasive Grading and Prognostication of Brain tumours using Fuzzy inferencing - Rural India", in the National Conference on BIOMEMS, organised by Department of Biomedical Engineering, Dhanalakshmi Srinivsan College of Engineering, Perambalur on 19th March 2018.
- "Pedagogy for Blended teaching learning process", in the Two Week Short Term Course On "Prospects Of Techno-pedagogy in Teaching", organized by Department of Education, Annamalai University on 17th December 2018.
- "Medical Image Processing using Pixels", in the Two Days Workshop on Deep Learning and Image processing for Biomedical & Industrial control applications, organized by Dept. of ECE, GKM college of Engineering and Technology on 26th September 2019
- "IOT tools for Blended Learning in Engineering", in the AICTE sponsored Two weeks FDP on Integration of IOT & Cloud computing services in SMART cities, organized by Dept. of IT, Pondicherry Engineering college on 26th November 2019
- "FYP - How to choose & Prepare Final Year Project", in the Two day workshop on Project Planning and Execution, organized by Dept. of EIE, Pondicherry Engineering college on 5th December 2019
- "Basics of Instrumentation & Automation (An Interactive Quiz)", in the One week STTP on Recent Trends in Industrial Automation & Control, organized by Dept. of EIE, Pondicherry Engineering college on 18th December 2019
- "Digital Tools for Learning", acted as Resource Person for 5 days from 12th May to 16th May 2020, in the Online FDP, organised by Department of Education, Annamalai University.
- "Digital Skills for Smart Teaching", acted as Resource Person for 3 days from 12th, 15th & 18th June 2020, in the Online FDP, organised by Department of Education, Annamalai University.
- "Biosensors and IoT in Wearable Healthcare Applications", in the International Webinar on “Nanomaterials And Flexible Electronics”, organized by Mangalore University Incubation Centre (MUIC), Mangalore University on October 15, 2020
- Delivered a key note talk on "Brain tumour image processing using IoT" with a real time demo of cloud interaction, in the International E-conference on Evolution of Scientific Technology in Medical Imaging and Instrumentation (CESMI 2020) organised by Sathyabama University on Oct 22, 2020
- "Digital tools for E-Teaching", acted as Resource Person for 3 days from 3rd to 5th Nov 2020, in the Online FDP, organized by Department of Chemistry, Kongu Engineering College, Erode.
- "Discovering Human Values" in the students induction program organised by Goverment college of Engineering, Tanjore on 10 Nov 2020
Areas of Research Interest
- Biomedical Instrumentation
- Medical Image Processing
- Digital Signal Processing
- Education Technology
- Teaching Methodology
Other Information / Self Appraisal
- Senior Reviewer for The Asian Conference on Education (ACE2017), Kobe, Japan (Oct 19 to Oct 22)
- Chief Editor of the e-magazine "Instrumenteers" of Dept of EIE, PEC
- Member of IEDC cell
- Executive Member - AIC PECF
- Member of H2EC club
- Member of Alumni Society, Temple committee, Media Publicity & Campus networking Maintainance
- Treasurer of Pondicherry Engineering College Teachers Association (PECTA)